Friday 25 September 2015

The Indefatigable Anita Erskine-Amaizo

Anita Erskine-Amaizo
Anita Erskine-Amaizo (AE-A) is not only an admired TV presenter but has carved for herself an enviable personality that can only be described as exemplary.

Anita had her primary education at Christ The King School and later went to Ghana International School for her Secondary education. After her National Service, she moved to Trent University in Canada to get her undergraduate degree.

She actively began her career in television in 2007, when she landed a role on Studio 53, a show that had her travelling across Africa in a bid to showcase its rich cultural heritage, artistic prowess and never ending creativity as exhibited through the Tourism and fashion industries.

Anita Erskine-Amaizo hosts “Making Of A Mogul”,”Cooking With….” and “Pamper Your Mum” – three popular shows on the DSTV platform, championing the “Best Of Africa” brand. She is also the host of “The One Show,” a programme that airs on Viasat 1. The Multi -Talented presenter, producer, oral narrator and entrepreneur balances hosting live events for Multi nationals such as Vlisco, Ecobank Transnational Incorporated and Globacom, whilst taking the world of TV by storm.

MM Focus was honoured to interview this celebrity…

MMF: How has your job as a media personality impacted who you are and the people around you?
AE-A:  The first people my work impacts is my family. They are my number one source of inspiration and support. They keep me extremely grounded and terribly focused. My parents are my best advisors and my husband provides that voice of reason whenever I need it. My kids, believe it or not, watch what I do very keenly and always provide their views – sometimes in the harshest way. As a media personality, I first and foremost remind myself that what I am doing is my job, my career. It just happens to be in the public space and in front of people. With that in mind, humility, being disciplined and hardworking are very important. If I do not practice these personal rules, my family would REMIND me!

MMF: What are some of the fondest memories and the challenges you have faced in your career?
AE-A: Every day in my industry is a challenge! Media is such a transparent and open field that it is important to refresh your views all the time so people do not get bored with what you are doing. Challenges appear everyday because it is also a very young industry. Because I plan on being here for a LONG time, I always say every moment provides a fond memory. But I tell you what; the ultimate is every recollection of every Thank You I hear, either in person or on social media.

MMF: You are the Founder and Creative Director of Brand Woman Africa (BWA). Tell us a little about it.
AE-A: BWA uses the power of media to showcase the advancement of women. We work through social media campaigns, television shows, music projects and general arts and culture! Our CSR focuses on supporting more girls to get an education so we sponsor up to 2 girls every year at the High School and Tertiary levels.

MMF: What inspired the need to set up Brand Woman Africa?
AE-A: Firstly, that I am a woman who has struggled and continues to struggle to accomplish my dreams and goals. However, some may say that I have made headway. So for me, I ask myself what I can do to help other women and of course girls! The first thing that came to me about the best business to set up was to do something that resonated with my personal dreams, goals and vision.

MMF: How is your role as a TV presenter linked to your job as the CEO of Brand Woman, if not, how do you balance these?
AE-A: I love what I do as a Media Personality! But imagine what I can do if I EXTEND this to the young girls who will one day take over from me? That’s what BWA has been created to do! Inspire! I make it work! It’s not always that easy and I am grateful to be surrounded by very loyal and dependable colleagues who share my dreams and have the same vision for the modern African woman. I am very dependent on my team of project managers, social media managers, producers and such!

MMF: You are also the hostess of The One Show on Viasat 1, what new thing are you bringing on board?
AE-A: The One Show is a powerful brand that has been beautifully crafted and developed for the African home space. It now has my personality attached to it. I am passionate about the issues and I love being able to get to the bottom of everything from Women’s Issues, Social Advancement, Health and Wellness and everything the show covers!

MMF:  You wear many hats, what do you do to unwind?
AE-A: I watch movies, documentaries and read novels! But my number 1 hobby – although it’s a duty – is spending time with my family. My favorite day of the week is Saturday! We all wake up late, cook together and watch movies all day long!  They are the best moments of my life, honestly!


MMF: In your view, what do you think can be done to revamp or vary content on television as most stations seem to be doing the same things?
AE-A: We are doing well in Ghana, let’s never forget that! We have only just started on a road many developed countries started DECADES ago! We are doing the right things. For me, we are learning to be bold and open about issues and that’s what’s exciting. On radio, on TV, in the papers, the best thing that we can do to improve is to TALK…openly and honestly. We are taking more risks and we will one day become as powerful a tool as what has been done in developed countries! Education is important. Once we add education to our quest to sound and look better, we will break grounds!

MMF: What have been some of your greatest achievements?
AE-A: Becoming a mother is the biggest and greatest because you are responsible for people. You are responsible for their decisions. Also, how well they turn out is a reflection of how focused and disciplined you are as a person. All other achievements are bonus, and by God’s grace I consistently enjoy the best of both worlds.

MMF: What other projects are you currently involved in or hoping to work on?
AE-A: My focus for the next few years will be girls and education. For me, that’s the true source of empowerment and that is what I am channeling through Brand Woman Africa. I think the moment has come for us to accept the real issues in our communities: but where there are issues, it is also our responsibility to eradicate them! And in my case, I am building an army of young, skilled, mentally-strong and emotionally powerful girls and women who will contribute to making Africa a powerful contender in the global economic space!

MMF: Any word of advice for young people who want to become TV presenters?

AE-A: Do it because you understand it. TV is a powerful tool if you know how to use it. Do not make your goal to become a TV Presenter. If you love the Media, make your goal to become a Media Personality rather! Learn the beauty of languages and how to express yourself through them adequately. Learn the geography and history of the world around you so you can tap into more cultures and become a multifaceted global citizen. It is only at that time that your true talent and confidence shines, especially when you are on screen! All the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment